"Coaching Wasn't My Passion" – Mgcoyi on Finding a New Path in Football

By Malose Wa Ga Lamola 

UJ Sasol Women's League coach Andisiwe Mgcoyi 📸 Musina Kha Map.

Andisiwe Mgcoyi, head coach of the University of Johannesburg Gauteng Sasol Women's League, wishes Banyana Banyana luck in their quest to win the Women's Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) title, discusses her transition from playing to coaching, and believes her team can rebound from their loss to Kaizer Chiefs.

Contrary to popular belief, Gudluza claims that coaching does not come naturally to athletes, as she had no desire to sit in the dugouts. "At first, coaching wasn't my passion, but I had to make adjustments because I was away from home and wanted to stay involved with football. To be honest, coaching was not something I expected to do." Said Mgcoyi


The former FC Union Nové Zámky striker admits that she began coaching in Slovakia solely to stay active and involved in the game. "The transition from playing to coaching was not difficult for me. "When I moved to Slovakia, I began coaching an Under-8 boys' team." She elaborated.

The former Mamelodi Sundowns Ladies under-20 coach admits she has gradually fallen in love with developing players. 'Gudluza' had a successful career as a footballer, winning five domestic league titles in a row with Banyana Ba Style. The two-time CAF Women's Champions League gold medalist admits she is still learning from the country's best football coaches.

"However, over time, it became more than just a job. It became my calling. I'm passionate about player development. I'm still eager to learn from the best coaches and improve every day." emphasized Mgcoyi.
The 2026 Engen Knockout runners-up lost their Gauteng Sasol Women's League match against Kaizer Chiefs Ladies on Wednesday evening at Auckland Park, thanks to an 86th-minute goal from Lumka Qhekeka. Mgcoyi believes the Orange Army was unlucky to concede a late goal in a match that her team should have won or at least drawn.

Mgcoyi reflected on the defeat to Makhosazana, saying, "Conceding a last-minute goal was our mistake, so I can't complain too much because it's something we can learn from. What struck me most about this team was its fighting spirit."
The CAF B Licence certified mentor praises her players' tactical flexibility as she switches from one formation to another, and the players respond well.


"The players showed great resilience by switching tactical formations from 1-4-2-3-1 in the first half to 1-4-4-2 in the second. That adjustment allowed us to stay in the game against the Chiefs and compete until the final whistle. " Mgcoyi commented on her team's tactical abilities.

With 42 Banyana Banyana caps under her belt, the South African Olympiad wishes the Dr. Desiree Ellis-led side the best of luck in their quest to conquer the continent again. The 2022 Women's Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON) champions will play in Group B at the 2026 WAFCON, alongside Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, and Tanzania. South Africa's tournament will begin on July 27th against Tanzania at Casablanca's Rachid Stadium.

"I wish Banyana Banyana the best. They have the opportunity to make our country proud, and I hope they accept that responsibility with confidence and humility. They should do it not only for themselves, but also for future generations of young players who aspire to follow in their footsteps." Concluded the former Banyana Banyana star.

@Lamola_Herold 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moletsane: I Don't Take It For Granted

Smeda: It Is Up To The Coach